I Want to Terminate My Contract. What Should I Do?

May 1, 2017

You should contact your agent and let them know that you would like to terminate the contract. If there is a dispute with regard to the release of the earnest money or who is entitled to it, the agent by law may not disburse the money to anyone but the clerk of court, and the parties will be forced to plead their case, so to speak, in front of a judge or magistrate, who will then decide how the earnest money is to be distributed. A termination of contract should be executed so that the buyer and seller can move on. In the event the parties are able to negotiate the terms of the release of the earnest money, a termination of contract setting forth those terms should be executed by the parties and the disbursement should be made by the agent according to those terms.